FeLV AND FIV TEST FOR CATS
Why test cats for FeLV and FIV?
- FeLV is also know as feline leukaemia virus and FIV as ‘feline aids’
- These two diseases can present with a vast array of symptoms, so the diagnosis can only be made by detecting antibodies or antigens from a sample of the affected cat’s blood.
- Those two diseases are easily transmitted between cats and both diseases are eventually fatal .
- It is necessary to test cats for FeLV and FIV before breeding because these diseases can be transmitted to the offspring.
- Tests for FeLV and FIV are a routine part of breeding and an important part of health control for all cats.
- All chronically ill cats or cats with unclear clinical signs should be tested for FeLV and FIV
- FIV cannot spread to owners
How are cats tested?
These tests are easy to perform, fast and reliable. Only one drop of the cat's blood is required and the results are known within a few minutes.